Friday, December 21, 2012

Meet Trey Grubbs



Greetings,

My name is Trey Grubbs.  I was born in the Ohio River Valley in 1991 and have lived in the Maritime Northwest since 2010.  A horse lover, avid walker, bird watcher and recent dabbler in the way of tea.

Early first encounters with Zen came as a teenager through the writings of Alan Watts.  I was inspired by the example of Japhy Ryder when a friend loaned me her copy of Kerouac's "Dharma Bums".  This led me to the poetry of Gary Snyder and Philip Whalen, Han Shan and Stonehouse (in translation).  Once I discovered sumi-e ink painting, I immediately signed up for local classes.  I was amazed at how much they were "like" nature!

I stick with Zen for its practical way in dealing with everyday life. Most of our suffering arises from not paying attention to what we have right in front of us, the three mysteries: body, speech and mind.  Zen allows me to bring awareness to mind through zazen; awareness to speech through poetry and song; awareness to body, whether riding my bike or cleaning horse stalls.  And back to zazen.

I began practice at Open Gate around a year ago.  I plan to continue to develop my practice of awareness on the present moment.  I hope to become a member of the Order, for the benefit of all sentient beings.

Sentient beings are numberless; I vow to save them.
Consuming desires are endless; I vow to stop them.
Bio-relations are intricate; I vow to honor them.
Nature's way is beautiful; I vow to become it.

Trey



No comments:

Post a Comment