Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Meet Pablo Catalan


Hi everyone!
       My name is Pablo Catalan, and I live in Madrid (Spain). I am 24 years old. I have been meditating since 2006, when my would-be girlfriend said to me: “You could use some meditation”. She taught me a technique that I didn’t really understand, so I ended up surfing the Internet looking for more detailed instructions. I came upon Buddhist meditation and philosophy, and I became immediately interested. I found an Internet forum where people discussed the teachings of the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition. There I started to read and talk about the Buddha, the teachings of Thai masters -which, I realize now, share many things with Zen- and the Pali Canon. It was in this forum where I met David (Daishin Insho), and we became close dharma-buddies.

At the same time, I found a vipassana meditation group here in Madrid, which I keep visiting frequently. My solo practice was already well established, and I soon settled in a 1-2 hours a day sitting routine.  I try to do weeklong meditation retreats once a year. Besides all that, I practice Goju-Ryu Karate-Do. 

A couple of years ago, my friend David told me about this Zen teacher he had met through the Internet, someone with a cool long beard called Koro Kaisan Miles. He seemed a nice guy, so I decided to write him. After some time of online correspondence, I thought it was time to make things official, and join the club. He accepted me as his student, and here I am! It is my intention to travel to Washington and ordain as a member of the Order of the Boundless Way in the near future.

In the meanwhile, I’ll keep sitting every day and trying to live better.
Gassho to everyone,
Pablo

No comments:

Post a Comment